Thursday, September 30, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Hobo Scramble


To my knowledge, this recipe is entirely made up.....I made it up on the spot one Saturday morning in Seattle after realizing the smorgasbord of yummy items in the fridge that would make one heck of a scramble.

After I plated it, I realized that this was a complete change from what we normally have for breakfast so I figured I'd better give it a name (you know....sell it). Hence.....a scramble was born.

Enjoy!
Stacy

Hobo Scramble
Serves 2

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Yukon Gold Potatoes, diced
Pepper
1/2 tablespoon Paprika
1/2 tablespoon Garlic Powder
1/2 green or red pepper, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3-4 mushrooms, sliced
1/3 tube, Jimmy Dean sausage
1/2 slab ham steak, diced
6 eggs
Shredded cheddar or Parmesan


Directions:
Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat; add diced potatoes and heavily season with pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Once you get a good crisp skin (about 15 minutes), add onion and pepper; cook for about 5 minutes then add mushrooms.

Heat a separate pan over medium heat and add the sausage (break apart evenly with a wooden spoon) and cook for about 3 minutes; then add the diced ham. Once the sausage is cooked through and the ham begins to brown, turn off the heat and set pan aside.

Beat together 6 eggs until light and fluffy; add just a pinch of salt and let the eggs sit for about 5 minutes. Add the sausage mixture to the potatoes and stir; then add the eggs. Stir the eggs around until sausage and ham are well mixed; then keep you eye on it until the eggs start to set.

To serve, sprinkle with cheese.


Image Courtesy of Google Images: This is exactly what our scramble looked like, right down to the paper plate
Recipe Courtesy of Moi: Honest to God...I made this up. Don't ask me how I came up with the name, except for the fact that I felt like a hobo using up what we had in the fridge