Tuesday, May 5, 2015

18/52: Kentucky Derby Day






Last Saturday was the 141st running of the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky.  The derby is run on the first Saturday in May and is know as the "most exciting two minutes in sports"!

On Kentucky Derby Day, Brian and I headed down to Auburn, WA to Emerald Downs to watch not only live racing but also the broadcast of the Derby.

This year, I had a very special hat given to me by family friend, Nan Cross.  It was a hat that she bought for a lifelong friend, who died recently...so it was an honor for me to wear it and think of Phyllis.

We had an amazing day and the weather was perfect!

The second race at Emerald Downs featured a horse named Sticks and Twigs, I loved the name and at 12-1, I placed a $5 to win bet and walked away a winner at $69.70.  What a great way to start the day!

Brian hit an exacta on the Kentucky Derby, which was amazing because we never win on the derby!  He walked away with about $180 which paid for our day and the amazing pizza/pasta dinner at Peel and Press on the way home!

The second to the last race of the day at Emerald Downs featured a horse called Our Boy Ken.  I put him in an exacta with a couple of favorites and won $39.50! It was bittersweet and I cried tears of joy, thinking of Brian's late brother Ken and how he would have gotten a real kick out of us betting on that horse for him.  If there is a heaven...and if those who passed can look down upon us, there is no doubt that Ken was there with us at that very moment (and Phyllis would have loved that I was wearing her hat).

Enjoy!
Stacy