Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Photos from San Diego

Just a few pictures from my business trip to San Diego last Thursday/Friday.  It was a less than 24 hour trip with not a lot of "play" time.  Here are a few random shots.



Southwest Airlines to San Diego via Oakland (making it a longer than normal flight).  Interesting fact...San Diego Airport has just one runway, it's incredibly small for the size of the area.


I love palm trees.  They totally fascinate me!  I took this shot just outside the airport right after we landed.
 



We stayed in the oldest hotel in downtown San Diego, the U.S. Grant.   The hotel was built by Ulysses S. Grant, Jr., son of president Ulysses S. Grant, who named the hotel after his father. Grant bought the Horton House Hotel and demolished it to construct the current hotel in 1910.  

My room with a view

The Hotel's signature restaurant is the Grant Grill, which opened in 1952. It became a power-lunch spot for downtown businessmen and politicians, so much so that "ladies" were not permitted in the restaurant after 3 PM. In 1969 a group of prominent local women staged a sit-in which resulted in the restaurant abandoning its men-only policy.






Right across the street from the hotel was a pub called The Local Eatery and Drinking Hole.  It was Thursday night and the place was packed with locals.  They had a fairly impressive menu, including a BIG 1/2 pound burger that I ordered to go and ate in my hotel bathrobe.


Friday's meetings were held on the 17th floor of a building fairly close to the U.S. Grant Hotel.  I had just 3 minutes outside all day as the meetings were back-to-back-to-back (including lunch).


This was my last shot on the way to the airport.  The beautiful San Diego Harbor!

Enjoy!
Stacy