Thursday, December 2, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Turkey Curry Soup


A few weeks ago, on my lunch hour, I ran over to New Seasons Market to pick up a few Thanksgiving Day items. They cook and serve the most amazing soups....3 or 4 on a daily basis. I really didn't want to eat any turkey (spoil my appetite) but their Turkey Curry Soup was way to tempting. I researched a few recipes and found this one to try at home (I have a huge bag of leftover turkey castoffs in the freezer).


Enjoy!

Stacy



Turkey Curry Soup

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter

2 medium onions

4 tablespoons flour

1 heaping tablespoon curry powder, more if you dare

6 cups chicken broth (use homemade, if you have turkey stock left…got for it)

2 cups diced potatoes (cut all veggies in small pieces, they cook faster)

1 cup diced carrots

1 cup diced celery

4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (don’t bother with dried, if you don’t have... please omit)

4 cups diced turkey

3 cups ½ & ½

1 cup frozen peas

1 cup cooked white rice

Directions:

Melt butter and sauté onions until translucent. Slowly add flour and curry stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Add broth and all veggies, plus parsley. Bring to a boil and take down to a low simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add turkey and cook for an additional 10 minutes (until veggies are tender). Add half and half and peas and cook for about 2 minutes before adding rice.

Note: You can also serve the soup with ¼ cup cooked rice on top, but the soup I had already had the rice in it, which added a nice texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment