Very rarely do I create a recipe from thin air. Typically, I have an idea….something I’ve seen Ina or Emeril create, then I tweak it a bit and “make it mine”. Nine times out of ten, I follow a recipe from Weight Watchers or another cookbook, pretty close to how it is written (at least the first time around).
Last week a “freak” snow storm hit
When I got home, I wanted something quick and rich. I had a wonderful wild salmon fillet thawed, a sweet yellow onion and some herbs. Behold……snow storm salmon!
Enjoy!
Stacy
Snow Storm Salmon
Serves: 2
Ingredients:
½ large sweet onion, sliced
1 tablespoon butter (I used “I can’t believe it’s not butter” – if you can believe it)
2 (4 oz) salmon filets or salmon portions
Salt and Pepper
¼ vodka or white wine (I was out of white wine so I used the next best thing)
1 ½ teaspoons fresh herbs (I had fresh thyme and rosemary on hand)
Splash of heavy cream or half and half
Directions:
Heat medium pan over med-high heat. Caramelize onion in butter for about 7-9 minutes. Push onions to the side and lay salmon skin side down in middle of hot pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes, uncovered.
Add vodka or wine to the pan and cover with a lid. Let the salmon “steam” cook for about 2 minutes until alcohol evaporates and reduces by half. Sprinkle salmon with herbs and add the cream/half and half.
I swirled everything around for another minute, making sure salmon was cooked through and then plated.
This would be great with a big piece of crusty bread to soak up the sauce, which was wonderful.
No comments:
Post a Comment