Thursday, January 7, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Snow Storm Salmon


Very rarely do I create a recipe from thin air. Typically, I have an idea….something I’ve seen Ina or Emeril create, then I tweak it a bit and “make it mine”. Nine times out of ten, I follow a recipe from Weight Watchers or another cookbook, pretty close to how it is written (at least the first time around).


Last week a “freak” snow storm hit Portland at 3PM. No one was expecting more than a dusting and by the evening commute, it was gridlock. It took me 2 hours to go 8 miles.


When I got home, I wanted something quick and rich. I had a wonderful wild salmon fillet thawed, a sweet yellow onion and some herbs. Behold……snow storm salmon!


Enjoy!

Stacy

Snow Storm Salmon

Serves: 2


Ingredients:

½ large sweet onion, sliced

1 tablespoon butter (I used “I can’t believe it’s not butter” – if you can believe it)

2 (4 oz) salmon filets or salmon portions

Salt and Pepper

¼ vodka or white wine (I was out of white wine so I used the next best thing)

1 ½ teaspoons fresh herbs (I had fresh thyme and rosemary on hand)

Splash of heavy cream or half and half


Directions:

Heat medium pan over med-high heat. Caramelize onion in butter for about 7-9 minutes. Push onions to the side and lay salmon skin side down in middle of hot pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes, uncovered.


Add vodka or wine to the pan and cover with a lid. Let the salmon “steam” cook for about 2 minutes until alcohol evaporates and reduces by half. Sprinkle salmon with herbs and add the cream/half and half.


I swirled everything around for another minute, making sure salmon was cooked through and then plated.


This would be great with a big piece of crusty bread to soak up the sauce, which was wonderful.