Brian drove down early on Friday from Seattle so we headed off about noon to the North end of the Willamette valley. 
First Stop: Apolloni - Brian loves any place that starts us off with a large cheese platter! They had quite the spread, including a dessert tray. Very well organized tasting room with three separate stations - which keep things flowing. Italian-style wines, very clean and crisp. In addition, a nice "iced" style Viognier that we all really enjoyed. A $5 refundable tasting fee, if you buy a bottle which we found very enticing. We took a bottle of the Viognier home, thank you!
Second stop: Purple Cow - We discovered this little winery back in October with the Seymour's. I love the "down home feel" and exciting wine varieties. Tell me.....how many places have a fantastic Tempranillo and a dry "everyday" Muscat? Plus winemaker, Jose Galindez, "Galo" is a hoot and I enjoy his passion for wines. $5 tasting fee - well worth the visit.Third Stop: Tualatin Estate Vineyard - They had a three dog greeting committee (you gotta love that). One of the reasons I keep coming back here is the wines......they are really good. I love their Chardonnay Pinot and Merlot. Great variety! A bonus......no tasting fee. Thanks to the staff - your passion, energy and friendliness keeps us coming back (at least 3 times a year). We left with two bottles of Chardonnay and a Pinot.
Fourth Stop: I really wanted us all to try a place that we have never been too - Plum Hill - in fact, they just opened for business. So since they just opened I am going to give them a little bit of a break. Their wines are young - very young and not well developed. We loved the charm of their tasting room. I only hope the wine-making develops.
"Tables by Brian" - he loved the sign (although he didn't design the table)
Fifth Stop: Cooper Mountain - We are on the home stretch and a place right out our back door, but why am I never impressed with their wines? They offered several "flights" and Chick and I chose "EARTH" for $10 (glass included). The Pinot Gris was sweet and spicy and the Chardonnay was very clean, with little or no oak. The 2007 Pinot Noir Reserve was okay for an 07; however, I most enjoyed the deep, rich Malbec (2006).
Last Stop: Ponzi: Always one of the gems of the day - but a little steep on the sampling price, $15. In addition, they only offered 4 wines and one of them was a Vino Gelato (dessert variety). We left with a 2006 reserve Chardonnay for $30 - which I believe was way to steep especially for a Chardonnay. A bit disappointed, but the Ponzi name sells itself.
Last Stop: Ponzi: Always one of the gems of the day - but a little steep on the sampling price, $15. In addition, they only offered 4 wines and one of them was a Vino Gelato (dessert variety). We left with a 2006 reserve Chardonnay for $30 - which I believe was way to steep especially for a Chardonnay. A bit disappointed, but the Ponzi name sells itself.

Thanks to Brian for being the semi-DD (he did taste a few)! We had a great memorable day!
Enjoy!
Stacy
No comments:
Post a Comment