Day five was a slow start for me. The tequila monster really took hold of me, so I spent most of the day in recovery mode until I decided that life is too short or as my good friend, Sonja always says to me “you can sleep when you are dead”. Nothing that a hot shower, err….make that a cold shower – can’t fix.
Chick and I changed our mind about the city bus and decided the spend a little more for an air-conditioned taxi to San Jose Del Cabo – about 40 minutes north east along the water from Cabo San Lucas. To me, it is a beautiful journey even though once you are away from the resorts you are transported into some unbelievable poverty, graffiti and squalor.
San Jose is a very small town with some amazing art galleries, jewelry stores and general shopping. We spent about 2 hours walking up and down the streets – window shopping and people watching. We found it to be very quiet and authentic. It was an inviting place to spend the evening.
Unfortunately – since the tequila monster did a number on me, I was not in the best of “spaces” which was so disappointing because one of the places I had dreamed of going to for a year was a restaurant named, “Tequila” (no joke). Giada DeLaurentis profiled it on one of her travels shows and when I saw this place I knew immediately that I would be in Cabo soon and that I would have a memorable dinner.
Chick and I changed our mind about the city bus and decided the spend a little more for an air-conditioned taxi to San Jose Del Cabo – about 40 minutes north east along the water from Cabo San Lucas. To me, it is a beautiful journey even though once you are away from the resorts you are transported into some unbelievable poverty, graffiti and squalor.
San Jose is a very small town with some amazing art galleries, jewelry stores and general shopping. We spent about 2 hours walking up and down the streets – window shopping and people watching. We found it to be very quiet and authentic. It was an inviting place to spend the evening.
Unfortunately – since the tequila monster did a number on me, I was not in the best of “spaces” which was so disappointing because one of the places I had dreamed of going to for a year was a restaurant named, “Tequila” (no joke). Giada DeLaurentis profiled it on one of her travels shows and when I saw this place I knew immediately that I would be in Cabo soon and that I would have a memorable dinner.
Tequila is a tropical garden setting restaurant decorated with candles, lanterns and water features. It was established about 12 years ago and has been written up in fine dining magazines all over the world.Chick and I split the Shrimp Bomb, tequila marinated shrimp wrapped in a deep fried wonton wrapper and served on a bed of purred black beans and cream. It was a dish presented so beautifully that I felt guilty for “diving in”.
We then had a beet salad – served simply with a few greens, blue cheese crumbs and sweet balsamic syrup. The beets were the sweetest I have ever eaten.
We also had the same main – an irresistible fillet Mignon smothered in a Cabernet rosemary sauce and garnished on the side with rosemary potatoes and a Mexican ratatouille. It was a rich meal – but one of the most complete to the taste buds. Memorable indeed.Day Six:
Our last day began early – Chick and I vowed that we would hit the pool for a full day in the sun and we begin the task of visiting all of our favorite places before the day ended.
Our Last Sunset

Our Last SunsetAgain we stayed out by the main pool and even changed our last dinner from 7PM to 8PM in order to not only take in our last Sunset Beach sunset, but also to enjoy as much of the day as possible.
For our last meal, Chick choose one of her favorites, “La Fonda” a truly authentic Mexican restaurant.
For our last meal, Chick choose one of her favorites, “La Fonda” a truly authentic Mexican restaurant.
The menu was so complex that at one point in time I didn’t honestly think I would be able to choose. I was tempted to try the fire ants or bone marrow tacos (when in Rome) – but in the end my starter salad – a terrine salad (a tower of delight) made with the freshest avocado, sweetest tomato and richest feta cheese - an excellent choice. Chick had a make it at the table yourself, Tortilla Soup that was homemade “love”.
After our dinner we returned to Sunset Beach and looked high into the sky for the last time to spot the Orion constellation, to hear the roar of the ocean, to take the golf cart down to the Manila Bar for our evening nightcap and reminisce about all the things we loved and were prepared to leave – only after vowing to return again.Hola,
Stacy
No comments:
Post a Comment