Thursday, May 19, 2016

Recipe of the Week: Savory Pumpkin Hummus


Today is national hummus day (and no, I don't make this stuff up).  I've posted hummus recipes before, but there is a new one that caught my eye recently and I wanted to share it.

For those of you who don't know, I have a YouTube channel!  I started making and posting videos a while ago, but last July I started a project called Document Your Life and I put together a monthly synopsis of our blog, only in video format.  It's a lot of fun and a great hobby for me because I really enjoy taking pictures and telling stories.  Feel free to check out our channel.

Along the way, I've been introduced to other vloggers and one in particular that I really like is Libby Withnall.  She lives in Australia just outside of Sydney and watching her vlogs reminds me of when I lived in Australia...the culture, the food and some of the places that I remember visiting.  She's a vegetarian/vegan and she's been making this hummus for many months and I've been curious to try it out.  This is not her exact recipe, but I did find several and I think this one is fairly close.

Enjoy!
Stacy


Savory Pumpkin Hummus


Ingredients:

2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic
3/4 tsp salt
2 (15 oz) cans garbanzo beans, drained
2 tsp olive oil
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (or use fresh pumpkin roasted in the oven for 30 minutes until tender)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper


Directions:

Pulse the lemon juice, tahini, garlic and salt together in a food processor until smooth.  Add beans and olive oil and pulse until smooth.

Add the pumpkin, cumin and cayenne; process until well blended.  Transfer hummus to a container with a lid and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Serve with  pita chips, vegetables or use as a spread on a sandwich.