Thursday, May 12, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Salmon Tacos with Fresh Pineapple Salsa


I love fish tacos! When Brian and I were in Maui in April we tried some Maui Tacos and loved them. The concept of taking flavors from Mexico and combining them with the flavors of the islands was unbelievable.

In honor of Cinco De Mayo last week, I came up with a wonderful salmon taco with a Hawaiian salsa on top.

Enjoy!
Stacy

Salmon Tacos with Pineapple Salsa

INGREDIENTS:

Salsa

1 large mango, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup pineapple, finely chopped (use fresh if you can; if not buy crushed in a can)
1/2 finely diced jalapeno (ribs and seeds removed if you don't want the heat)
1/2 finely diced shallot (or red onion)
I bunch (handful) cilantro, (remove stems and chop very finely)
2 Tbs white vinegar
Juice from one lime
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbs olive oil

Tacos

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon blackening season
1 1/2 lbs salmon fillet (alternatively you could use any firm fish)
8 10 inch tortillas (I prefer flour for fish tacos, but you could always use corn)
5-6 green leaf lettuce leaves, roughly chopped

DIRECTIONS:


1. Mix all ingredients for the salsa and refrigerate for 30 minutes
2. In a frying pan (cast iron is best for blackening), add oil and heat to medium-high. Sprinkle seasoning on fish.
3. Cook salmon skin side down for 4-5 minutes.
4. Distribute the salmon in chunks into eight 10″ tortillas (I like to heat my tortillas a bit). Top each with salsa and leaf lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment