Tuesday, August 6, 2013

THPRD Concert in the Park with Hapa


Last Thursday night, Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District sponsored a free outdoor concert in our neighborhood park with one of my favorite Hawaiian bands, Hapa.

Call it destiny, but I've loved Hapa since my first trip to Maui in 2004, and as luck would have it, Brian and I head to Maui later this month.  Who knew that in all of the places on this planet they could play, that they would be practically in my own back yard!

What a perfect way to start living with the Aloha Spirit!


Hapa means a person of mixed Asian or Pacific Islander heritage and derives from a Hawaiian Pidgin word meaning half.

Delicious Hawaiian Plate Dinner with Kalua Pig, Mac Salad and Rice

Hapa is one of the most successful Hawaiian-music group in recent history and at it's core are Barry Flanagan and Nathan Aweau.  Strangely enough, Flanagan is an island-dwelling transplant from New Jersey and formed the group with then lead singer Keli'i Kaneali'i (who retired and is now replaced by Aweau).  For 15 years, Aweau was musical director for Don Ho and has brought a more defined and polish performance to the band.

The slack-key guitar is always sensational, and both Flanagan and Aweau are masters, but Aweau's singing, especially with traditional Hawaiian songs brings goosebumps to my soul.

The crowd really seemed to enjoy the performance, I doubt the majority had a clue as to the caliber of musician, world-wide popularity and notoriety they were enjoying (and for FREE!), but I was surprised to see several Hawaiian groups in the audience and many main-land living islanders enjoying the evening.

Despite the drizzle, cool winds and clouds, it was an incredible highlight to a most wonderful summer!



I tried to take some video, but not quite sure how to get on Blogger from my phone, so I found this on YouTube.  It's one of my favorite Hapa songs!

Enjoy!
Stacy