Chick and I celebrated my birthday last weekend in Portland.I decided a few weeks ago that there were things in Portland that I had never done before so we hit the city to explore.

Can you believe that I have never been to Voodoo Doughnuts? I mean everyone from the Food Network, The Amazing Race and The Travel Channel have been....but not moi!
This place is crazy! Well.....unfortunately, the line was 25 deep out the door and snaking down the street. So this first will have to wait until next time (seriously....they must be really good).Then it was off to the Portland Saturday Market. Okay, I've been to the market before but not in their new location. The sun was out and it was a beautiful day and Chick and I really enjoyed watching all the people and looking at all the artist's fair.

The last thing on our list was Dim Sum. Okay, hard to believe....but I have never had dim sum before! Do you know what dim sun is? It is the name for a Chinese cuisine where dishes come in small portions and may include meat, seafood and vegetables. The items are usually served in a small steamer basket or on a small plate.
We chose probably one of the best Dim Sum places in Portland, Wong's King Seafood Restaurant and it was an absolutely crazy experience. We sorta "guessed" our way through. I thought they would present a menu, but the place was packed with what appeared to be regulars so we did our best. In the end, we chowed down on....Taro dumplings, taro balls (Wu Gock), deep fried dumplings made from mashed taro root
Har Gau (Har Gow), translucent shrimp dumplings.
Char Siu Bao, steamed buns stuffed with BBQ'd pork
Traditional BBQ'd Pork thinly sliced
Sliced Beef short ribs
We stuffed our bellies and laughed at the whole experience. Next time we will be better prepared.
Enjoy!
Stacy
No comments:
Post a Comment