Friday, November 2, 2007
Recipe of the Week:VEGETARIAN SHEPHERD'S PIE
In honor of Portland being named America's Best Vegetarian-Friendly Large City and the fact that Portland is hosting the Vegan Holiday Festival this weekend, this week’s recipe of the week is courtesy of Brian, who made this for me last weekend. Thanks, Babe!
This is a recipe I've adapted from Dr. Timothy Smith. I like this recipe for several reasons: It is very adaptive to your personal tastes; it has almost no fat; and it is vegetarian and can very easily be vegan.
VEGETARIAN SHEPHERD'S PIE
4 large potatoes
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 medium onion
1/2 cup veggie broth or water
2-3 gloves garlic, minced
2 cups Veggies, fresh or frozen: options: peas, carrots, green beans, broccoli, corn,
zucchini, diced tomatoes
1 1/4 cup Morningstar Vegetable Crumbles (TVP)
1 small can tomato paste
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (substitute vegan cheese)
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Place potatoes in large saucepan and cover with water. Over high heat, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 min. or until tender. Drain the potatoes and place into a mixing bowl with soy milk. Mash thoroughly.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the onion in 2 tbsp of broth/water over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender.
4. Add garlic, your favorite veggies, basil and oregano adding broth/water as necessary. Cook for 5 min.
5. Add remaining broth/water and TVP crumbles. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
6. Pour the mixture into a 13x9 baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the vegetables and sprinkle shredded cheese to taste. Bake for 20 min. or until lightly brown.
EASILY SERVES 4