
Several weeks ago, by boss handed me a newspaper clipping and told me that the previous night he had had the most amazing Thai food. He told me the location and in a moment I realized that I knew exactly were it was - this little hole in the wall has been several things in the past few years and I've always been curious when I pass it on the Max train.
Located in Goose Hollow, across the street from PGE Park, Kinara Thai Bistro has very reasonable prices with a simplistic menu. The atmosphere is cozy, quiet and laid back (funky urban grooves pulsate through the tiny dining room, cushy benches with decorative pillows and a modest interior). My only complaint would be the waitstaff.....there was only one and at times, our service was slow to non-existent (although the space is so small that I am not sure they could fit another body in there walking around). A good sign was that every table was filled by 6PM and several cars pulled up for take-out (the couple next to us appeared to be regulars).
Here is what Chick and I tried:
Appetizer: With about 7 or 8 to choose from, Chick commented that the Blue Crab Wontons sounded good. On a simple square white plate, 8 of the most amazing little crunchy and creamy wontons appeared. Filled with blue crab and cream cheese (spicy sweet chili sauce on the side) - there were quickly devoured.
Mains: We each chose a main. One of my favorites at any Thai place is a good Pad Thai- I ordered Prawn Pad Thai and was not disappointed. It was not as saucy and gooey as others I have tried, but the noodles had a wonderful garlic flavor and the prawns were cooked to perfection.
Sandra ordered a Yellow Chicken Curry with white rice. The curry was one of the richest and creamiest curries I have ever tasted (I'd have eaten it ladled over a old tire). While it was not as spicy as some yellow curries can be, the sweetness of the sauce and the flavors of the cumin, nutmeg, fish sauce turmeric and lime were pleasing to the palette.
They have a nice wine list, with a nice and reasonably priced selection of NW wines (by the glass and bottle). For $40 exactly (minus tip) - Chick and I had a glass of wine, appetizer and two mains....very affordable. NO left overs - so don't expect over-flowing plates.
This won't be the last time we check out Kinara Thai Bistro.
1126 SW 18th Ave.
Portland, OR 97205
503.227.5161
www.kinarathai.com
Hours: Mon-Fri 11am-10pm, Sat 3pm-10pm, Closed Sunday
Image courtesy of Google Images (I left my new camera at home)
No comments:
Post a Comment