Thursday, March 13, 2014

Recipe of the Week: Chicken Paprikash


I started a major project this week and realized that I suffer from a possibly untreatable mental disorder called Recipehording.  

Let me spell it out for you....I collect recipes.  Lots and lots of recipes!  I clip them out of magazines, newspapers and even print them off on-line.  I then stuff them into a bag and keep them hidden in my closet.  

If I started now and began cooking every single recipe I've ever collected, I'd still be cooking at age 103 (and probably still clipping recipes out of the latest Cooking Light magazine).

So this week, I started going through the bag and quickly realized that I like a lot of the same things.  So far, I've located 8 recipes for Cabernet or Pinot Noir braised short ribs, 15 recipes for chilli (turkey, chicken and vegetarian varieties) and a half dozen recipes for pasta carbonnara.  Strangely, I also found 4 recipes for Chicken Paprikash, which I'd never heard of before.  Turns out, it's quite easy to prepare and very tasty.  I kept one recipe and threw the rest out.  Progress continues!

Are you a recipehorder?

Enjoy!

Stacy


Chicken Paprikash

 

Ingredients:

2 tsp oil (I use olive oil)
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1/8 tsp Hungarian paprika
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced (you could also use chicken thighs)
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions:

In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion until softened.

Sprinkle paprika and cayenne over onion and stir.  Add chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes.

Add chicken broth and tomato sauce.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove from heat and add in sour cream.

Serve over noodles or rice.


Serves 4