I didn't plant any this year, but I was inundated with fresh cucumbers from co-workings this summer. Next year, I might even contemplate growing (I'd love to make some refrigerator pickles).
In the meantime, here are two classic summer cucumber salads.
Enjoy!
Stacy
Cucumber and Onion Salad
Ingredients:
4 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced thin
1 small sweet yellow onion, sliced thin
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tablespoon dried dill
Directions:
Toss together the cucumbers and onions in a large bowl. Combine the vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and then pour over cucumbers and onions. Stir in dill; cover and refrigerate until cool.
Note: This can also be eaten at room temperature, but make sure the mixture has set at least an hour.
Cucumber Salad with Yogurt and Mint
Khyar Bi Laban
Ingredients:
4 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced thin
1 Tablespoons salt
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh mint
1 1/2 pints plain yogurt (use Greek yogurt if possible)
Directions:
Place cucumbers in a strainer and toss with salt. Set aside.
Crush garlic and mash with mint using a mortal and pestle or a wooden spoon. Combine yogurt with garlic mixture and stir well. Fold in cucumber slices and chill for at least 1-2 hours. This is best served cold.


No comments:
Post a Comment