Thursday, June 2, 2011

Recipe of the Week: BBQ'd Skirt Steak


For years I was a flank steak kinda girl. Recently my local butcher was out of flank steak so I opted instead for a skirt steak and I don't think I'll ever buy another flank steak again!

The term skirt steak refers to a cut of beef from the plate. It is a long, flat cut that is prized for its flavor rather than tenderness (although I find it more tender than flank steak). Sometimes flank steak is used interchangeably with skirt steak, but it is a totally different cut of meat (and a whole heck of a lot cheaper).

This is an awesome marinade!

Enjoy!
Stacy

Lime Skirt Steak with Sweet Potato Wedges
Slightly adapted from Everyday Food

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about one medium lime)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 garlic gloves, minced
1 jalapeno, diced with ribs and seeds removed (unless you like it spicy)
1/2 cup cilantro
black pepper
1 1/2 pounds skirt steak
3 medium sweet potatoes, sliced into 4 wedges
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
salt and pepper

Directions:
  • In a blender or food processor, combine lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro and black pepper until smooth. Transfer to a large plastic zip-lock bag and add skirt steak. Marinate at least 30 minutes, but no more than 2 hours (I prefer to marinate at room temperature for about 45 minutes).
  • While steak is marinating, preheat oven to 450F. On a baking sheet place sweet potato wedges and drizzle with olive oil, brown sugar, chili powder and pepper. Roast potatoes until brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven once done and salt.
  • BBQ steak! Alternately, you could cook steak in a hot skillet about 3-5 minutes a side. Slice and serve with potato wedges and a nice salad.
Recipe courtesy of Everyday Food; image found on Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment