Thursday, August 14, 2014

Recipe of the Week: Hawaiian Meat Jun


I saw one of my favorite chef's, Sam the Cooking Guy prepare Meat Jun while filming his cooking show in Kauai.  To be honest, I'd never heard of Meat Jun before, but as he was making it, I realized that it is nothing more than what my father fixed me growing up as a kid...only in my house, we called them finger steaks.

Meat jun is a Korean dish consisting of thin slices of beef, dipped in egg batter and fried.  A type of Jeon, it is a popular dish served at Korean restaurants in Hawaii.  Typically it is served with a dipping sauce of soy.  Growing up, I dipped my finger steaks in ketchup.  You be the judge.

Enjoy!
Stacy


Hawaiian Meat Jun
Ingredients:

2-3 lbs chuck roast
1 cup shoyu
1/4 cup sesame seed oil
4-5 stalks green onions, chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
4 eggs, beaten
flour
oil for frying

Directions:

Cut meat into this slices.  Place in a bowl and add the shoyu, oil onions and garlic.  Mix well and let marinate for 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours).  

Pour flour into a flat pan.  Dip marinated meat pieces in flour.  Transfer meat into the beaten eggs.  Drip off excess.  Fry until golden brown.  Drain on paper towels.



Image found on Google Images
If you get a chance, check out Sam the Cooking Guy.  He is really funny!