Monday, February 9, 2009

Rules to live by in today's uncivil world



I love to make lists. I love to read lists. Lists are incorporated into my life on a daily basis. Without them....I would be lost.

I came across this list in the Washington Post last Spring and have kept it on my desk all year. Whenever I am having one of "those" days....I look at the list, gather myself and find at least one of the 25 to live by for the remainder of the day.

Enjoy!
Stacy

It's a rude, rude world. Between screams, honks and nasty looks or gestures, it seem the whole planet has forgotten its manners. Here's how to do your part towards a more civil society.

1. Pay attention
2. Acknowledge others
3. Think the best
4. Listen
5. Be inclusive
6. Speak kindly
7. Don't speak ill.
8. Accept and give praise
9. Respect even a subtle "no"
10. Respect others' opinions
11. Mind your body
12. Be agreeable
13. Keep it down (rediscover silence)
14. Respect other people's time
15. Respect other people's space
16. Apologize earnestly
17. Assert yourself
18. Avoid personal questions
19. Care for your guests
20. Be a considerate guest
21. Think twice before asking for favors
22. Refrain from idle complaints
23. Accept and give constructive criticism
24. Respect the environment and be kind to animals
25. Don't shift responsibility and blame

The Washington Post

No comments:

Post a Comment