Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Scenes from Washington County; Wine Tasting Weekend


14 years ago, when I first moved into Washington County, 3 miles west of our home was considered "the country". Today, the urban growth boundary has expanded onto the lush farmlands and idyllic country setting. Now when I drive 3 miles west, I see strip malls, track homes and wider roads.

I still enjoy heading out into Washington County from time to time. This time of year, the local farms have finished up harvest season, but it's Wine Harvest Weekend.


Once again, this year I wanted to enjoy the wonderful wineries that are located in Washington/Yamhill County.


First Stop: Raptor Ridge, which is located in the heart of the Chehalem Mountains in Scholls. Tasting Fee: $15, refundable with a $35 purchase. 6 distinct locally grown Pinot Noirs; lots of nice hors'douvres in a modern and stylish tasting room.


Stop # 2: Anderson Family Vineyards, which is located in the heart of the Dundee Hills. $10 tasting fee. Beautiful views with tasting room high on hillside. 6 wonderful wines, two Pinot Gris (07 & 08), two Chardonnays (07 & 08) and two Pinot Noirs, although the whites were the stars. Wonderful hors'douvres including pate and sliced crusty bread.



Stop #3: Brick House Vineyards, which is surrounded by the fruit and hazelnut orchards above the Chehalem Valley. $10 tasting fee. Funky farmhouse setting and very, very crowded and not much parking. One Chardonnay, one Gamay and several Pinot Noirs. Absolutely NO cheese, crackers or bread!

Awesome day and best of all....SUNSHINE after three consecutive high wind, heavy rain storms.

Enjoy!
Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment