"An aboriginal man
once came backstage after a show and said to me in a kindly voice,
"Where's your dance? I used to like your dance, you've lost your dance
mate, you've gotta find your dance." So, I set out in search of it,
looking here, there and everywhere in all corners of the globe. Quite soon I
realized that "finding my dance" is an inner search, and that whilst
I may never truly find it, it matters not. What's important is to keep
searching, and in the process, refine and simplify the steps." - Colin Hay
I've waited years to see Colin Hay. He tours the U.S. frequently (lives in L.A.) but each time he's come to the Pacific NW, I've been unable to get tickets (his last two Seattle shows sold out before I even knew he was coming to town).
Just three weeks before Christmas he announced his spring tour dates for the U.S. and I was thrilled to get tickets (wrapped securely under our Christmas tree) and counted the days on the calendar until the April 12th, 2013 show!
I've been a fan since his 1980's days with Men At Work and Brian and I have discovered his solo/acoustic CDs released over the years.
I've been a fan since his 1980's days with Men At Work and Brian and I have discovered his solo/acoustic CDs released over the years.
Themes of redemption and
renewal come naturally to Colin Hay, as he is in the midst of a remarkable
renaissance. While his voice and visage are still familiar to millions from his
tenure as front man, principal songwriter, and lead vocalist of pop sensations
Men at Work (“Down Under, ” “Overkill,” “Who Can It Be Now?”), the past twenty
years have found him quietly yet tenaciously re-introducing himself to new
generations of fans. It has been an organic process, building momentum through
constant touring, and film and television exposure.
His show, last Friday night was at the 91 year old Neptune Theater in Seattle and I splurged and spent an extra $20 a ticket to get access into the VIP lounge (seats, private bar). We were front row of the VIP section about 20 yards from center stage.
Originally opened on
November 16, 1921, The Neptune was a movie house during the silent film era. There were
originally five film houses in the University District during this time, but
today the Neptune is the last one standing.
The show was fabulous.....solo acoustic (just Colin and his three guitars). He walked out on stage at 8PM and played for almost 2 1/2 hours.
He is very entertaining and weaves stories of his childhood, the formation of Men at Work and his solo revival throughout the evening.
If you get the chance to see him, you won't be disappointed. Brian and I really enjoyed the evening.
Enjoy!
Stacy



No comments:
Post a Comment