Thursday, March 3, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Vietnamese "Pho" Rice Noodle Soup with Beef


For Valentine's Day I cooked an amazing NY Steak roast. With an abundance of leftover rare beef, I decided to try a very easy...down home Vietnamese Beef and Noodle soup or Pho.

Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup, usually served with beef (phở bò) or chicken (phở gà). The soup includes noodles made from rice and is often served with basil, lime, bean spouts and peppers that are added to the soup by the consumer.

The origin of the word was one subject in a seminar on phở held in Hanoi in 2003. One theory is that the name comes from the French word feu (fire), as in the dish pot-au-feu, which like phở uses the French method of adding charred o­nion to the broth for color and flavor, one of the techniques which distinguishes it from other Asian noodle soups. Some believe the origin of the word to be the Chinese fen. In addition to rice noodles, multiple spices (such as star anise and cinnamon) are staples of Chinese cuisine. I like the fact that you can add your favorite Asian vegetables and staples to suit your taste

Enjoy!
Stacy

Rice Noodle Soup with Beef

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, sliced into thin rings
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 cups sliced mushrooms (I used crimini)
1 carrot, sliced
8 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sweet Thai chili sauce
2 cups cooked beef (I used leftovers from a roast); alternatively you could buy thin slices of ribeye and cook beef in broth mixture
Udon or yokisoba noodles
Garnish: green onions, chopped peanuts, bean sprouts, chopped mint, chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice

Directions:
Heat medium stockpot over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Saute onions for 5-7 minutes then add garlic and ginger stirring frequently. Once the onions have carmalized a bit, add mushrooms and carrot and cook for another 5 minutes. Add broth, fish sauce, soy sauce and chili sauce and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce temperature to a slow simmer and cook 30 minutes or until flavors blend. If using already cooked beef, add and cook for an additional 10 mintues. If you are using thin slices of raw beef, add and cook until desired doneness.

To serve, cook noodles according to package directions and place in the bottom of a large soup bowl. Ladle broth mixture over the top of the noodles then add garnish to taste.

Image Courtesy of Google Image: I wished I would have taken a picture of my bowl. It looked fantastic
Recipe Courtesy of Moi: To be honest, I've never eaten Pho before so I kinda made this up, but it was a yummy and hearty soup and excellent on a cold winter's evening

No comments:

Post a Comment