Friday, February 10, 2017

Old Photo Friday: I still stand with Standing Rock


WHO: Stacy and Bruce (standing)
WHERE: Standing Rock Indian Reservation
WHEN:  August 1978

It dawned on me a few weeks ago, that I have been at Standing Rock.  I've been on these hallowed grounds among the people of the Hunkpapa Lakota Sioux.

My Pop's best friend, Crowe was 1/4 Sioux and his mother was 1/2 Sioux and raised at Fort Yates, North Dakota, the tribal headquarters of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.

When I was 9 years old, my Pop and I along with the Crowe family took a motor home back to the reservation for a Pow Wow and a ceremonial Sun Dance.  

I remember bits and pieces from this trip...our motor home breaking down in Mobridge, South Dakota, Crowe's son getting bit by a scary dog and the young Sioux tribesman bloody and hanging from pegs pierced through their chest muscles dancing in the sun as a personal sacrifice to their family, their culture and their spiritual beliefs.

What the U.S. Government is allowing at Standing Rock is wrong.  The destruction of the Native America culture has gone on long enough.

Allowing Dakota Access, LLC a subsidiary of Energy Transfer Partners, LLC  to construct a pipeline underneath the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers as well as under Lake Oahe near the Standing Rock Indian Reservation, threatening the regions clean water not to mention the annihilation of ancient burial grounds is deplorable.

Please sign the petition at MoveOn.org

#NoDAPL

Stacy