Thursday, September 17, 2015

Recipe of the Week: Eggplant Curry


I am cat-sitting/feeding/playing this week and I've come across another gardener with an over-abundance of produce.

I've been asked to "help myself" to several small fresh eggplants.  The only issue is, that both Chick and Brian are not big fans of eggplant.  What's a girl to do?

Last week, I found in the freezer, some curry lentil soup that I made about 6 months ago which was fabulous and just what I needed to fill in a lunchtime meal.  I got the idea when I was asked to help myself to the eggplant that I would make up a batch of eggplant curry and freeze it so when a missing meal is needed, there will be something yummy in the freezer to find.

Enjoy!
Stacy



Eggplant Curry


Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 large or two medium eggplant, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk (you may not use the entire can depending on how thick you like your curry)
2 cups fresh spinach, kale or chard leaves
Jasmine or Brown Rice

Directions:

Heat oil in large saute pan over medium-high heat.  Add onions and cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.  Add eggplant and cook for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften and release their juices.  Add garlic and cook for another minute stirring to combine.  Add curry powder and stir mixture together and cook for 15-30 seconds, until fragrant.

Add the diced tomatoes and chickpeas and cook for another 2-3 minutes to incorporate all the flavors.  Finish by adding the coconut milk, and fresh spinach then simmer curry mixture for 5-10 minutes.

Serve curry over rice.