Thursday, August 6, 2015

Recipe of the Week: Fried Oysters


August 5th is National Oyster day!  Yippee!  Fried oysters are probably one of my most favorite foods, but often times I am extremely disappointed at how they are prepared in restaurants.  I guess I am extremely spoiled as growing up, my Poppie made the best fried oysters on the planet!

Here is our traditional family recipe and enjoy National Oyster Day (even if it is one day late)!

Enjoy!
Stacy

Fried Oysters


Ingredients:

1 jar small oysters (mediums will also work); this should give you 5-7 oysters
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup flour
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
salt and black pepper (about 1/2 tsp each)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
4-6 tablespoons olive oil (you will probably only need 3-4 tablespoons)
Lemon Slice, Ketchup, Tarter Sauce...optional

Directions:

Rinse and soak oysters in cold water for 30 minutes then drain and carefully pat dry.

Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.

Beat egg and milk together in shallow bowl.  Set aside.

Mix flour, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper and garlic powder in a large ziploc bag and set aside.

Carefully add 2 oysters at a time to the egg wash and then place in the flour mixture.  Give them a good shake in the bag then place them in the hot pan. Repeat until all your oysters are in the pan frying.

I like to cook my oysters for about 10 minutes aside, until dark brown...adding additional oil if needed. 

I serve my oysters plain with a ramekin of ketchup on the side.