Friday, March 6, 2015

Old Photo Friday: All Aboard


WHO: Stacy Dare Brady
WHAT: Toddler and train lover
WHERE: Springfield, OR (I believe this choo-choo was at the local grocery store)
WHEN: April 1971 (age 2)

All aboard!!  As this posts today, I'll make my way down to the Amtrak Station in Portland for my weekly commute to Seattle.  People ask me if I ever tire of the journey, but I suppose it's just in my blood.  My first big trip away from home was at 11 months on the train from Eugene to Seattle.  This June will mark 11 years of regular commuting between Portland and Seattle aboard the Amtrak Cascades

My journey on the rails was inherited.  My paternal great-grandfather and maternal grandfather were both engineers (or hogheads).  My maternal grandma worked for Southern Pacific railroad most of her working life, including being an original "call girl" at the round house in Oakridge, OR (she rounded up the engineers for jobs prior to telephones).

I would encourage those who have never ridden a train to explore trip options at Amtrak.com.  This week, in a rare bipartisan vote, the house approved an Amtrak funding bill that will keep trains running for another 4 years (in addition to allowing some pets to ride along on the intercity passenger rail service).

Enjoy!
Stacy