Thursday, January 22, 2015

Recipe of the Week: Burns Night with Clapshot


Do you know that this Sunday is known as Burns night?  In Scotland, on January 25th they celebrate the birthday of the great romantic poet, Robert Burns (1759).  On Burns Night, family and friends gather for an evening of good food and company (kinda like Thanksgiving) and a traditional Burns' supper is served.

What is a Burns' supper?

Of course everything traditionally Scottish is on the menu including Scottish smoked salmon, haggis and colcannon.  I also came across a popular dish called clapshot that looked quite good (since I am a big fan of mixing potatoes with parsnips).

So come on....celebrate Burns night!  I know you want to!

Enjoy!
Stacy

Scottish Clapshot


Ingredients:

1 pound boiled potatoes
1 pound boiled turnips
2 tablespoons chopped chives
2 tablespoon butter
Salt and Pepper

Directions:

Beat the two vegetables together while still hot and mix in the chives and butter.  Season with salt and pepper.



P.S. Yes, I know this is a complete stretch of a recipe.  I am in a creative food funk and eating super clean for a few weeks.  Please let me indulge with the obscure holiday!