Tuesday, September 30, 2014

39/52: Dinner at Leaky Roof and Our First Portland Timbers Game


It was a busy week in Portland last week.  Brian was in town teaching and so we planned a few end of summer activities.

First stop......



An expiring Groupon at The Leaky Roof in Portland, one of our favorite little British-Irish-Scottish pubs in the Goose Hollow area of Portland.

Country Fried Chicken ($15.50)
Battered Chicken Breast, Creamy Peppered Gravy, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables


Chick, Brian and I had a wonderful pub dinner!

_____________________________________________________________


On Tuesday night, our friends, Bryan and Maddie treated us to a Portland Timbers soccer game against Alpha United at Providence Park.

Bryan and Maddie


The Timbers are just about the hottest ticket in town and they have very coveted season tickets (right near the Timbers Army section) and managed to snag two extra seats and invited us!


Timber Jim saws a hunk of wood off a big log after every Timbers goal, then after the game, presents the cutting to the goal kicker(s)


I started watching the English Premier League last year and then with the World Cup over the summer, Brian and I have started seriously "getting into" soccer.


Despite a steady drizzle, we had a blast!!

Constants "chants" from the Timbers Army the entire match and smoke bombs for every Timbers goal!


The game was great, but the crowd watching was even better (in fact I had a hard time watching the game because I was trying to learn all the chants).



Chants:


YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE

At the 80th minute
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You’ll never know dear, how much I love you
So please don’t take my sunshine away

CAN’T HELP FALLING IN LOVE

At the 85th minute
Wise men say – Only fools rush in
But I can’t help falling in love with you
Take my hand – Take my whole life too
‘Cause I can’t help falling in love with you

ROSE CITY ‘TIL I DIE

ALWAYS after goal by the other team. Hold up scarves and SING LOUD:
Rose City ‘til I die!
Rose City ‘til I die!
I know I am, I’m sure I am,
Rose City ‘til I die!
Enjoy!
Stacy