Saturday, September 14, 2013

Maui 2013: Our Last Day; Finding tees in Wailea and saying goodbye!

 Last call at Lahaina Coolers


We jumped out of bed on Friday morning and sipped coffee and savored every last minute in the condo.  We packed up, gave a half bottle of wine, 3 beers, a tub of butter and a half carton of chocolate ice cream to the neighbors who arrived the day before (good karma) and said our goodbyes to the Valley Isle Resort.  Here is hoping that next year we get the complex back into shape!

Our beginning and our ending was celebrated at Lahaina Coolers (and in between, we hung out like we owned the joint).  We are not sure why this place brings us such joy, but we headed off to the airport with full bellies and smiles on our faces.



I had an incredible preparation of Loco Moco complete with an inch thick Maui Cattle Company hamburger patty smothered in a rich mushroom gravy.  After last night's disaster, I was ready for something really good and this (along with a Champagne mimosa) hit the spot! 

 
We took one last stroll along Front Avenue and I stuffed items into my bag like a crazed hoarder (just how much Hawaiian Sea Salt, Chocolate Macadamia Nut Coffee, Pikaki bath crystals and Maui Onion flavored Macadamia Nuts will last me 356 days???).  I also picked up trinkets for the office and family.

We drove down to Wailea as a favor to my Pop and picked up 10 bags of sugarcane long golf tees at the Emerald Course.  Gannon's, were we ate an amazing lunch a few years ago, is conveniently located right near the pro shop and a perfect place to have one last Maui goodbye mimosa (Brian had a bloody Mary).
  


The entire area of Wailea is like some picture postcard and it's nice to get a different perspective across the water and over to west Maui.

Then, before we knew it, we were at the airport and preparing for the flight home.


Our trip this year was incredibly short, but on the upside...it's a comfort knowing that we will return for more adventures soon and I know the time will fly by (don't tell Brian but I am already working on our next September itinerary).


As always, a few days at home offer spiritual awakenings and personal reflection (and 5 loads of laundry).  I took time to go through my journal and pictures and as I put the posts together, I got to re-lived each experience again.

Home, sweet home with Sammy

I chose this trip NOT to blog daily and rather found myself following the words of the Hindu guru, Ram Das......"be here now...be here now".  It made the short trip much lighter and my experiences deeper and more meaningful.

A hui hoa (goodbye, until we meet again)!


Aloha!
Stacy