Thursday, June 13, 2013

Recipe of the Week: Vegan Carrot Cake


I've been seriously skeptical of the whole vegetarian/vegan lifestyle for years, but recently some of the newer products and places (including Veggie Grill) have really turned my thinking around.  It's not the belief that throws me (although I could NEVER give up my steak), it's just that I have had many vegetarian dishes that are unsatisfying.

For the past few weeks, I've been treating myself to one lunch out a week.  No more eating at my desk, goodbye leftovers and so-long Lean Cuisines!

I've got about 2 dozen places that I can grab something (some good, some bad) but I keep going back, week after week to the Veggie Grill.

Last week, I picked up a piece of vegan carrot cake for the road.  I didn't expect to like it, topped with it's vegan frosting....ick!  But you know what......it was one of the best carrot cakes I have ever had (and it was probably good for me)!

Enjoy!
Stacy


Vegan Carrot Cake 

Ingredients:

Cake
1/4 cup cinnamon applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup vegan margarine, softened
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup soy milk
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Frosting
1 container Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
1/2 cup soy margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice

Directions:

Cake:

Preheat oven to 325 and grease and flour a 9 inch square baking pan.

Combine the applesauce, vanilla, margarine, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, flour and soy milk until well mixed.  Add carrots and walnuts.

Spread batter evenly in baking pan.  Bake for 45 minutes.

Allow to cool then frost with vegan frosting.

Frosting:

Combine the cream cheese and margarine.  Slowly add the powdered sugar, then vanilla and lemon juice, stirring until well combined.