I am completely obsessed with the Olympics!
We watched the amazing wonderful opening ceremonies on Friday night and I spent the entire weekend watching beach volleyball, cycling, synchronized diving, swimming and gymnastics. 16 days of glory await the world!
Here is some Olympic trivia.
- The London 2012 mascots are Wenlock and Mandevelle. Wenlock is named after Much Wenlock, the Shropshire town that inspired Pierre de Courbertin to launch the modern Olympics. Mandevelle is names after the town of Stoke Mandeville in Buckinghamshire where the Paralympics were founded.
- London is the first city to host the Modern Olympic games three times.
- There are 26 sporting events in London compared with 17 in 1948 (the last time London hosted the games.
- Women's boxing is making it's Olympic debut.
- The first Opening Ceremonies were held in 1908 (again in London).
- Because of World War I and World War II, there were no Olympics held in 1916, 1940 or 1944.
- Great Britain is the only nation to have won at least one gold medal at every Summer games.