Thursday, August 9, 2012

Recipe of the Week (British History Month) Spotted Dick


I am incredibly sad to see the Olympics winding down.  The closing ceremonies are this coming Sunday and I've so enjoyed seeing London and parts of England that I remember exploring some 18 years ago.  Wow!  Time flies.

I served Spotted Dick for the Opening Ceremonies and I had several people ask me about it's origin and history.

To be honest, I found mine pre-made in a can (thank you Cost Plus World Market) but I found this on-line video of the real thing!  Can you even buy suet in the States???

Spotted Dick is a British steamed suet pudding (again, think moist dense cake) that contains dried fruit and currants and is commonly served with a custard (think pudding or a thick cream).  Spotted refers to the pieces of dried fruit and dick may be a contradiction or corruption of the word pudding or possibly a corruption of the word dough or dog (as in spotted dog) which is another name for a dish but made with plums rather than currants.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary the earliest documented reference is a recipe for "Plum Bolster" or Spotted Dick in Alexis Soyer's The Modern Housewife in 1849.

Enjoy!
Stacy

Spotted Dick