Several weeks ago at a funeral potluck I saw this salad sitting on the buffet table and made a beeline for the serving spoon.
There is just something about this cold rice salad that is absolutely dreamy. This recipe has been around for years and goes back to potluck's from the 1970's when cooking with artichokes became chic. There are dozens of recipes out there, but this one sounds the best to me.
Curry Artichoke Rice Salad
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 (6.5 ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts, chopped (reserve 2 tablespoons of marinade)
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped depending on your preference
- 1/2 cup raisins, okay to omit if you are not a fan
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Combine chicken stock and rice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Cool rice in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and curry powder. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine artichoke hearts, green onions, green bell pepper, raisins, celery and parsley. Mix in cooked rice, then add mayonnaise mixture. Cover and chill overnight. Serve cold; drizzle marinade over the top before serving.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes