Cook Time: 2.5 hr
1 whole chicken (about 5-6 pounds), rinsed and patted dry
4 bacon strips (aged, smokey pepper bacon)
1 Lemon, rind removed and sliced in quarters
4 Garlic Cloves peeled (2 smashed and 2 minced)
3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
1 Cup White Wine
1 Poultry Bouquet (includes Thyme, Rosemary, Sage)
Roasting Veggies cut into chunks (about 6 cups); variations include yellow onion, Yukon gold potatoes, parsnips, mushroom, butternut squash, beets, rutabagas, brussel sprouts and mushrooms.
1. Preheat the oven to 425°.
2. Smash 2 garlic cloves and place inside chicken cavity along with salt and pepper, half the poultry bouquet and the cut up lemon.
3. Chop remaining poultry bouquet and place in a small bowl with 2 minced garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
4. Loosen the skin of the chicken breast with your fingers and gently spoon the herb/mustard mixture on each breast. Then slide the bacon on top of mixture. Season outside of chicken with 1 tablespoon of oil, salt and pepper and any herb mustard mixture you have left (I use my hands and rub it over the outside.
5. Place the chicken in a large roasting pan/cast Iron pot with one cup of white wine. A blasting heat crisps the skin and gives the chicken a great roasty flavor, but only cook for 15 minutes at 450°F, followed by a more moderate 325° until done (2-2.5 hours).
6. Meanwhile, toss the cut up roasting veggies with 1 tablespoon olive oil together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper (I like to put mine in a large plastic container with a lid and shake them to coat).
7. After the chicken has cooked for 1 hour, add the vegetables that take the longest to cook into the oven (in their own roasting pan). Gradually add veggies to the pan based on their cooking time. Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are tender, about an additional 90 minutes. Tent the chicken with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Note: I like to serve this with an old-fashioned creamy cole slaw