Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Recipe of the week - THE CLASSIC CAPRESE
With heirloom tomatoes peaking, the beloved insalata caprese is once again enjoying its annual surge. Enjoy!
• Bring the freshest available mozzarella di bufala or cow's milk mozzarella to room temperature. Lift it out of its water and pat dry. Slice about 1/4-inch thick.
• Slice the tomatoes of your choosing: firm, slightly green ones, in the Italian tradition; or mixed vine-ripe heirloom tomatoes, in the California style.
• Overlap slices of tomato and cheese on a plate. Scatter halved cherry tomatoes around, if desired. Drizzle generously with a fruity extra virgin olive oil.
Sprinkle with sea salt and grind a little coarse black pepper over the salad, if you like.
• Tear perky basil leaves into smaller pieces and scatter over the salad.
• Grind a little coarse black pepper over the salad, if you like. Crumbled dried Italian oregano, in place of or in addition to the basil, is also permitted by some purists.
Seattle Post Intelligencer