Thursday, August 16, 2007

ELVIS


30 years ago today, the King of Rock and Roll, Elvis Presley died in Memphis, Tennessee. The summer of 1977, I was a gangly 8 year-old on vacation with my friend Leslie Hamlin and my Dad on our friend’s ranch in Cody, Wyoming. Leslie and I heard the news report in the front seat of Toby Dahl’s pickup truck coming home from the general store with ice cream cones in hand. I ran out of the pickup and told my Dad, who was an Elvis fanatic, that the King was dead at the age of 42 from an apparent heart attack.

My first concert was at the age of 6 at MacArthur Court in Eugene, Oregon. My parent's thought it would be a cultural experience for their daughter to see Elvis. I’ll never forget the rumble of the bass and the start of the Theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Elvis took the stage and before the first refrains of “C C Rider” a million flashbulbs went off and it scared me so bad that I buried my head in my hands and cried. That’s all I can remember about the show, but Elvis’s legacy and music remained in our home all my life. Here is a list of my all time favorite Elvis songs:

10. Hound Dog (okay, not the original by Carl Perkins, but a classic)
9. Suspicion (Great beat….cha cha cha)
8. My Way (Sinatra sings it better, sorry Pop – but an Elvis classic)
7. Jailhouse Rock (I beg you to put this song on and NOT dance)
6. Kentucky Rain (My Pop’s favorite…I know all the lyrics by heart)
5. Can't Help Falling in Love (slow dancing classic)
4. A Little Less Conversation (Re-made for Ocean’s 11 with George Clooney in 01)
3. Return To Sender (Again…..who can’t sing along)
2. His Latest Flame (Marie's her name)
1. Suspicious Minds (My all-time favorite – gives me chills)

TURN OFF JUKEBOX, WHICH IS NOW PLAYING - GREEN BOX - HIT THE SQUARE BUTTON!

Click on video screen to continue with Elvis video!



Today, Lisa Marie is releasing a duet (just like Nat King Cole and Natalie) of Elvis’s hit song, “In the Ghetto”. I am looking forward to hearing the King and his daughter sing together.

Rest In Peace. There will never be another Elvis!

Stacy